Lockdown extended by another three weeks. Well, damn. I appreciate my privilege and the luxury I have, but every now and then I have my oh fuck moments. Those, how is this reality, moments. Those how does the world go back to normal, moments. It’s better to feel your feelings, and not let them fester into a stress ball.
And you know what helps you feel your feelings best? Chocolate. You know what helps you process and release those feelings? Hot gooey chocolate. You know what helps you kick some much needed good energy into your brain? Coffee, frothy, sugary, whipped, coffee. Plus, let’s be honest — I’m not one to pass up an Instagram fad. And since I don’t got Toosie Kick Skills — I bake.
Plus, this is made with minimal ingredients. Save the eggs for eating. Save the baking soda for cleaning veggies. Oh, did I mention it takes 15 minutes start to finish?
MAKES 2 LAVA CAKES
INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE:
- 1/4 cup castor sugar
- 4.5 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup hot milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 pieces chocolate
- 2 baking ramekins or small glass bowls, buttered
INGREDIENTS FOR WHIPPED COFFEE:
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee powder
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 1 Tbsp castor sugar
METHOD FOR CAKE:
- Whiskey the sugar and melted butter until incorporated.
- Add hot milk, and whisk well.
- Add cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and whisk until the batter isn’t lumpy.
- Pour into the two prepared ramekins. Insert 2 pieces of chocolate each into the middle of the batter.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 – 12 minutes, until the top and sides look well baked and pull away from the ramekin slightly.
- Cool for 2 minutes. Invert on to a plate.
METHOD FOR WHIPPED COFFEE:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk (or beat with an electric whisk) until semi-stiff peaks form. The color will gradually turn from dark brown to a beautiful light brown as you whip.
Top the inverted cake with the coffee, sprinkle some powdered sugar on top, and dig in!