Chic-Fil-A. KFC. Popeyes. Marketing campaigns have influenced us for decades, touting FRIED CHICKEN as the ultimately comforting fast food. They put it in tubs. They put it in sandwiches. They put it on waffles. They put a Korean twist on it (probably the OG lets be honest.) Every food truck, every cool new restaurant, every Master Chef AU contestant had a fried chicken masterpiece.
And we vegetarians just looked on from afar. Fries are good, sure. Fries make the world go round. But they never seemed to be FRIED CHICKEN GOODNESS. They were still the side-piece to fried chicken.
So enough. I scoured the internet and tested a bunch of soggy chewy ewwy messes, before creating this ultimately EPIC fried tofu nuggets sandwich thingmabob.
- 1 block EXTRA FIRM TOFU personal recommendation PlantVita Fresh Firm Tofu
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp celery powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp mustard seed powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes (I used lavash cause I don’t eat corn)
- Freeze the package of tofu for a few hours. Then thaw. Use your hands to roughly tear the tofu into big-ish chunks. Don’t use a knife cause you don’t want straight edges. The rough edges are crispy perfection. Salt generously and set aside.
- Add the ACV to the milk and let rest for 10 minutes until slightly thick.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour and all the spices.
- In a third bowl keep the crushed cornflakes or lavash.
- Dunk the tofu in the buttermilk, then in the flour, then back in the buttermilk and then in the crushed cornflakes or lavash or breadcrumbs.
- Place the plate back in the freezer until your oil reaches temperature for frying.
- Deep fry the tofu until golden brown.
Sriracha Mayo: Mix 1 cup hung curd + 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
Pickled red cabbage and cucumber: Recipe Linked here
Sweet Heat Dipping Sauce: Mix 2 Tbsp honey, 1 Tbsp red chilli paste, 1 tsp soy sauce
Fresh: lettuce, finely chopped green onions, sliced jalapeños lightly tossed with rice wine vinegar and salt
The Bread: ciabatta is my bread of choice for this cause it doesn’t get too soggy.
Garnish: Japanese Pickled Ginger (Gari) and sesame seeds!